Here I am with yet another recipe!
As the weather is getting warmer, my meals are getting colder. I am back in Belgium for the summer now and we’ve had to deal with 30°C + weather for the past week. My mother ran out of ideas for meals acceptable in this heat, so I introduced her to my favourite spring/summer quinoa salad! An easy and nutritious meal I put together when I was too lazy to cook back in Edinburgh.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 salad tomatoes
- half a cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- Olive oil
- Salad mix (Iceberg lettuce, spinach, rocket,…)
- 3 or 4 falafels (home-made or store bought, I used Cauldron Foods)
- Hummus (I used Tesco’s Chilli Hummus)
- 1 peeled and sliced apple or pomegranate seeds (if you enjoy the combination of sweet and savoury)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil, then add the cup of quinoa
- Wash and cut all your veggies, then put them in a salad bowl
- when the quinoa is ready mix it with the veggies
this is it! I’d recommend adding the seasoning, hummus, and falafel to your liking after serving. This recipe makes enough for two so I like to keep the leftovers in the fridge and eat it again later in the week. At that point there is nothing to cook or heat up so it’s super easy! It’s also great as a salad on the go. You could cook the quinoa the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight so making the salad the next day is super quick. I have made this on different occasions and still haven’t gotten tired of it!